Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Pilot met its challenge: MUD!

Erin was behind the wheel while I crawled around in the mud trying to get us free. No, she did not get us stuck...she wanted me to make that clear! Pushing was exhausting, so I attempted to pull as well. Nothing seemed to work. After about an hour or so of placing rocks and dead logs in the rut. I gave up and just backed down the rut for about 100 yards. The rut got deeper and deeper as we went down, so I didn't even attempt it at first because I thought we would high center. But once we decided to just back down, we were out of the rut in about five minutes. Who knew? The mud peeled off the wheel as if they were once all attached. It looked cool.This drive was up Diamond Fork Canyon. Eventually you leave pavement. Which when it has been raining for a day or so, its not a good idea to travel them. Truck or not, I don't believe it was passable. This was the road that connects up to Sprinville or Hobble Creek Canyon. I have driven it before when it was dry at it was a lot of fun. Never again in the mud.

4 comments:

joeheywood said...

I better move to Utah so Tatonka can come rescue your Pilot.

Bryan & Bobbie said...

I better move to Utah so I can rescue you both. Maybe you can convince Erin to put some big knobby tires on, and limited-slip in the front and lockers in the rear. And maybe put a couple of inches of suspension lift. I GUARANTEE you will never get stuck...most likely.

johnsun said...

I could have done that road on my skateboard or in a canoe as long as Luke didn't tip me over. John

Dave Heywood said...

Just want to clarify before you hurt the Pilots feelings... We did not get stuck! It was just slick that if I continued up, we would be chancing some serious sliding issues. It was so slick that when we applied the brakes on the grades, we would just keep sliding. I was unable to stay on the main part of the road due to the grade and slid in the rut to the right. But could drive up and down the rut just fine. I ended up just backing down about two hundred yards to a level part. I turned around and drove off just fine. I NEVER GOT STUCK!!!