Sunday, November 16, 2008

Flashback

Woh. All Luke needs is a patch over his right eye. No, we didn't get lame glasses like mom and dad did for me. These are toy glasses. Dude, cracks me up. I also love the placement of his watch.

11 comments:

The Real Jim Heywood said...

Hey, can we help it if we were in the Kurt Rambis fan club?

http://www.kurtrambis.com/

mikeylikesit said...

What memories. For some reason I have a memory of you coming home after school to grandma and grandpa's house in Glendora. You were sportin' the glasses, and I believe it was raining outside. You couldn't have been older than six years old. Your papers, or homework, got all wet from the rain and you threw them down on the dining room table and said, "Great! Now my papers are all DAMAGED." You seemed genuinely upset, especially when you screamed out the word "damaged". I thought it was funny at the time, and still chuckle to myself thinking about it from time to time.

mikeylikesit said...

Hey! Does anyone know what happened to Joe's blog?

brettsherrie said...

I just wondered the same thing.
I don't know why you don't wear those still.

KarleighJae said...

Mike, that story's hilarious,

And for Joe's blog, he deleted it once before after some hot discussion going on through the blogs. Between the political stuff and the discussion surrounding Brett's comments about family, I am guessing Joe again got in a huff and decided to up and delete all those great journal entries now gone forever. I don't even remember what the discussion was about that lead him to delete his blog the first time.

That's the way these things go though, we get all upset and down the road we or others don't even remember it, but our actions at the time can be lasting (i.e. the original blog with all it's journal entries are gone forever).

Hopefully Brandi can again talk him into doing the blog thing again. Hopefully we can all be wiser in what we say to whom.

KarleighJae said...

Oops, this is Daniel, and I guess I'm posting under Karleigh's name. The comment above is from me.

Edit: the last line in my comment above should not just say "what we say to whom", but "how we say what to whom."

It is so difficult to write in a manner that allows our intended expression to come across. We can all be more careful in writing, and all be less ready to be offended in what is written, and realize a) that the other person may have not meant to be offending, and b) even if the other person did mean to be hurtful, that this is a reflection the offender's need for progression, which is a good reason to feel genuine empathy for the offender rather than focusing on feeling offended. This would allow us a better chance to genuinely not feel offended and therefore to genuinely respond with kindness. (I speak to myself most of all, as I get huffy too quickly, too often.)

For example, a joke can sound like the hardest of insults when written, but if the same joke were delivered verbally in person, with tone, inflection, and body language to provide clues to the real meaning of the words, the joke may be received as a joke and genuinely laughed at.

It is also difficult to have a written discussion such as the political one that went on here, because such complex topics don't allow the immediate question and response that can help alleviate misunderstanding. Also, it is easy to write something we might never, ever actually say in person, or at least wouldn't ever say in the way we say it in print. -Daniel

mikeylikesit said...

I agree Daniel. I for one am very sarcastic in my writings (especially blog posts), never intending to offend anyone, but seem to anyway because of the misunderstood tone of the written words.

Mother of Eight said...

I think that the Heywood clan needs to remember how much family means to each one of us (especially to Joe). We sometimes offend (another Heywood trait, I might add..both natural born and in-laws) and we need to remember that families forgive one another. I know I have to work on that one myself, so I am pointing the finger at myself more than anyone else. I know it hurts my heart when we allow offense and hurt to fester and go unattended. I hope we all realize that each one of us sometimes puts our foot in our mouth and sometimes we take offense when none is intended. Let's remember this great family and how much we love one another. I for one miss it when blogs are removed and we do not get to see pics of the families and keep up to date on current events.

Dave Heywood said...

Ouch...I can't even get my toe in my mouth, much less my foot. Then again, I can't even get my footsies within a foot of my mouth.

Anonymous said...

I like chocolate chip cookies too.

-Eric

Anonymous said...

The watch on Luke's arm reminds me of Jadon. The other day Karleigh couldn't find a hair band anywhere. She went to Jadon, pulled up his sleeves, and on each arm he was wearing a hair band. He likes to wear them there.

(Insert Aerosmith or Bon Jovi jokes here.)